side job in your visa

Can Foreigner Do a Side Job in Japan?

First of all, you need to check your visa type. Generally, it is three types for working visa in Japan:

①Engineer②Specialist in Humanities③International Service.

As long as your side job is covered in your visa type, it is not a problem to do a side job.

For example, if you have international service visa and working as a language teacher,

you can work as interpreter for your side job because interpreter is one of the international services.

Or it is possible when you have engineer visa and do programming for your side job for the same reason.
You can do programming for a side job while you have international service visa because programming work is not included in the international service.
On the other hand, there are some points you have to keep in mind as written below.

①Your side job does not disturb your main job activity
②You need to continue your main job. If you resign your main job and continue only side job, it will be illegal.
③Avoid unskilled labor such as cleaning, staff in convenience store and so on
If your side job is not covered in your visa, you need to submit “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously” in the immigration office.

【For Job Seekers】
Please fill in your data from the link below.